The three obligatory rulings (Fard) or the pillars of Hajj are:
- Entering Ihram from the Meeqat: It is obligatory to form the intention of Hajj and assume the state of Ihram from the Meeqat.
Rabegh is the prescribed Meeqat location for pilgrims from UK. However, pilgrims traveling by air cross the Meeqat so it is essential for
them to form the intention in the flight. Saudi airlines announce about Meeqat on the plane.
If you are traveling by other flights, the Meeqat comes one hour before reaching the Jeddah airport.
Wuquf at Arafat: It is essential to stop at Arafat even for a moment from zawal (declining of sun) of 9th Dhul Hijjah
to the dawn of 10th Dhul Hijjah. This is an indispensable part of Hajj and must be performed in the prescribed order at
its proper time and place. In case of its omission, Hajj would not be accomplished properly.
- Tawafuz Ziyarah: It can be performed any time from the morning of the 10th Dhul Hijjah to the dawn of
12th Dhul Hijjah after completing the ritual of Qasr (shaving or clipping of hair). Tawafuz Ziyarah, also
called Tawaf-ul-Ifadah, is an obligatory ritual of Hajj and it is performed after leaving the state of
Ihram and just before returning back to Mina to perform Rami al-Jamarat. If Tawafuz Ziyarah is delayed,
sacrifice of an animal (Dam) becomes essential.
Important (Wajib) acts of worship during Hajj
- Overnight Stay in Muzdalifah.
- Overnight Stay in Mina at Tashriq nights.
- Ramyul Jamar i.e. stone pelting at the Jamarats.
- Qurbani or sacrifice of an animal is only due on a Qarin or Mutamatti.
- Shaving or cutting of hair.
- Tawaf-ul-Wada or Farewell tawaf.