Hajj is foremost a spiritual journey and its goal is simple- to receive the gift of forgiveness for all your past sins from the Almighty.
A considerable amount of preparations before leaving for Hajj requires to be made not only financially and physically but also spiritually.
Hajj preparation should begin before you leave for the pilgrimage. It makes sense to be as much ready as possible for this journey of
self-discovery and spiritual enlightenment. Here are some of the most important tips on preparing for Hajj:
- Understand the meaning of the Surahs and Dua you recite in Salah.
- Repent sincerely by praying 2 raka’t nafl and make tawbah.
- Learn how to pray Salatul Janaza.
- Make a will before you leave.
- One of the most important things to do before leaving for Hajj is to ask your family and friends for forgiveness and overlook your shortcomings.
- Make a list of dua for yourself and ask your family and friends for dua requests. You will be in the most sacred place on the best day of the year – Arafat.
- Learn more about the history of Makkah and Madinah. Get an in-depth understanding about the life of the Prophet (pbuh) by learning his Seerah. It will enable you to appreciate the beauty of the place you are about to enter. It will make your Hajj even more special and memorable. The best sources that come to mind are:
- Watch the 1976 movie ‘The Message’ chronicling the life of the Prophet (pbuh) and his companions during early years of Islam.
- Listen to Yasir Qadhi’s seerah on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAEA99D24CA2F9A8F . It’s over 100 hours of in depth knowledge about the life of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the light of the authentic sources.
- Read the document by Martin Ling’s Muhammad here http://www.icorlando.org/pdfs/muhammad_martin_Lings.pdf