Here are some of the conditions of Hajj being obligatory on a person and who can perform Hajj:
- Hajj is obligatory on every sane and physically-capable adult Muslim once in a lifetime.
- Hajj is obligatory upon an indebted person who can pay off the debt and can perform Hajj. One cannot perform Hajj with borrowed money.
- It is permissible for minors to perform Hajj but it would not be counted as their obligatory Hajj.
- Any person who could afford to go for Hajj but dies without performing it, the heirs of that person can perform it on his/her behalf from the inheritance.
- It is not valid to authorize someone to perform Hajj on behalf of a healthy person. However, if a person is unable to perform Hajj due to old age or an illness but can afford to pay for it, he/she should pay someone to perform the obligatory Hajj on his behalf. (Read: Hajj e Badal)